Autism Symptoms and Signs
Children within the autism spectrum show following symptoms/signs. They normally struggle in areas like:
- Interactions with public- lack of eye contact, typical facial expressions, lack of understanding others feelings etc
- Playing with peers- They find difficulty in mingling with the other children.
- Communicating with others verbal &Non Verbal-Difficulty in Understanding, Repeating some words[echolalia],Delaying in talking Note: Echolalia is very common symptom in a child with Autism
Autistic kids may have following symptoms or Signs also:
- A fixed daily routine(Eg: eating a specific food for breakfast etc, Doing a specific thing every day)
- They will be having repeated body movement/body rocking etc
- They will be extraordinarily fond of some objects
General Symptoms/Signs in a child with Autism
Communication in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder .Symptoms/ Signs are::
- Cannot initiate or maintain a social conversation, delayed, Limited or absent speech
- Communicates with signs and actions.
- Develops language gradually or not at all
- Does not adjust eye gaze to look at objects that other people are looking at
- Does not refer to self properly
- Does not point to direct other peoples' notice to things (Shows in the initial 1 years of life )
- Stereotypic use of language (e.g. echolalia) .Some words will be repeated so many times
- Gibberish rhyming
- Absence of imitation or imaginative play
Signs/Symptoms to exhibits in their Social interaction::
- Not making friends
- Not interacting with others even while playing or not playing at all.
- Lack of interest in being friendly and sharing his/her happiness with others.
- No eye contact with other person.
- Not mingling with others and always stays alone.
- Shows a lack of compassion (Eg: No empathy)
- Difficulty in understanding and distinguishing facial expressions, signals/motions
Response to sensory information in Autistic kids::
- Sensory issues-Shows extreme reactions if someone touches or towards some smells, sights, pain etc.
- Does not surprise/shock at loud sounds
- Easily get irritated to usual noises and sometime cover ears when it happens.
- May find normal noises painful and hold hands over ears
- Rubs surfaces, mouths or licks objects
- Always keep rubbing/licking objects or any surfaces
- Shows no interest in playing with others.
- No imaginative play and shows no interest to imitate others action's like normal children.
Some Behavioral symptoms and Signs in children with Autism::
- Shows extreme tantrums
- Can't pay attention for reasonable period of time and always over reactive or non-responding
- Shows unusual attachment to some objects/interests
- Aggressive towards others and hyperactive
- Unusual habits like spinning, hand flapping and repeated movements
If you reside in Dubai, Sharjah or any other emirates in United Arab Emirates and your child shows any of these autism symptoms .How to treat autism? We provides assessment and other related autism treatments.